ADVS Student Research Symposium General Information
- The goal of the Summer Research Symposium is to provide students with the experience of communicating their research in a friendly environment and receive constructive criticism and feedback.
- The symposium also provides an excellent opportunity for faculty, students and staff to learn more about ongoing research conducted within our department.
- All graduate students as well as vet students and undergraduate students involved in the summer research internship programs are expected to attend and present their research. All undergraduate students and student volunteers involved in any ADVS research projects are also encouraged to participate if participation is permitted and encouraged by their individual mentors.
- Cash prizes will be awarded for the best presentations in the various poster and oral presentation categories.
Updated Last: March 6, 2019 Preliminary information on the ADVS SRS 2019 has been updated.
Wednesday, August 7, 2019
All participants are asked to RSVP by Thursday, August 1, 2019.
Engineering Building Room 101, atrium and hallway
Directions Via Google Maps
8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
2018 ADVS SRS Schedule
There will be a limited number of oral presentation slots available, all other research will be presented in either a poster format or flash talk plus poster format. All students are encouraged to indicate their preference for oral, poster or flash talk plus poster presentation at the time of initial title submission. The decision of the presentation format for each participant ultimately lies with the program committee, and the organizing committee will make the final decision regarding presentation format once all preliminary titles have been submitted.
- Presentation formats: Oral presentations should be 12 minutes in length with 3 minutes for questions. Presenters must upload their presentations by Tuesday, August 6th at noon (local time). Upload Here
- Poster presentations. A recommended poster size is ~ 42” x 56”. The poster boards can accommodate portrait style posters of up to 47” width and 65“ height. The posters need to be mounted on Tuesday August 6th, 2019, between 3:30pm and 5:00 pm (the afternoon prior to the meeting). Students are expected to bring their own pins to hang their posters.
- Flash talk & poster presentations. Students assigned to give a combined flash talk & poster presentation will be given two minutes to present the main scientific concept or idea of their research in an accessible manner. These students will also present a poster (see previous bullet point for specifications). Presenters must upload their presentations by Tuesday, August 6th at noon (local time). Upload Here
Students should submit the preliminary title of their presentation and their preferred presentation format (oral, flash talk with poster or poster only) by 5:00 pm on Friday, June 14th, 2019.
The deadline to submit the final presentation title and abstracts is 5:00 pm on Thursday, July 25th, 2019.
The abstract should contain 1,800 characters (including spaces) or less. Make sure to format your abstract according to the following: use font times new roman size 14, titles and name of presenting author should be bold, only first words or proper names capitalized (the rest lower case), single spaced, author affiliations in italics, indicate author's affiliation(s) in numerical superscript notations.
Late submissions and abstracts, posters and presentations not adhering to instructions will result in point deduction.
Examples of abstracts from last year
Cash prizes will be awarded for the best presentations in the various poster, oral presentation and flash talk plus poster presentation categories.
For questions regarding title submission or the symposium in general, please contact members of the organizing committee: Mirella Meyer-Ficca (email@example.com), Heloisa Rutigliano (firstname.lastname@example.org), Kara Thornton-Kurth (email@example.com) or Cara Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org).