Apply to ADVS
Enrolling in a degree in ADVS is easy, just make sure you've done these two things:
The Animal, Dairy, & Veterinary Sciences department provides outstanding laboratory, and field experiences with our amazing faculty members. Complete our preapplication process to find available labs and funding opportunities prior to formally applying to Utah State University.
Prior to applying, the potential applicant must communicate and find a qualified ADVS Faculty member that agrees to allow them into their laboratory and be their major (supervisory) professor. Visit our Research Emphases page to explore faculty by research focus. Contact Lee Rickords with questions.
CURRENT LAB OPENINGS
|Pre-application Deadlines to be considered for funding|
|Fall Semester||Spring Semester||Summer Semester|
|Pre-application submitted by March 1
to be considered for funding
|Pre-application submitted by July 1
to be considered for funding
|Pre-application submitted by November 1 to be considered for funding|
All prospective graduate students must apply through the School of Graduate Studies. Please note that all applicants must meet the following general admission requirements:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college, with a 3.0 GPA for the last 90 quarter or 60 semester credits earned, is required. An official transcripts must be sent directly to the School of Graduate Studies from each college or university previously attended (except USU).
- Completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). A score equal to or above the 40th percentile in both the verbal and quantitative sections is required. If one of the scores is below the 40th percentile, a petition can be made for further consideration. Scores must be sent directly to the Graduate School.
- Student recommendation request forms (included in application material) should be used to request three people to submit letters of recommendation directly to the Graduate School. Two letters of recommendation should be from faculty from whom you have taken course work.
- International Students: Please visit the USU Graduate School website for requirements.
- *Matriculation is based upon the recommendation of the ADVS Graduate Programs Committee (GPC). The GPC bases its decisions on multiple factors such as GPA, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, student's application essay, if a major professor has been identified, and whether the applicant's interests fit within the scope of specializations offered for the MS and PhD degrees in ADVS.
- Applicants for a graduate program in animal or dairy science should have completed a BS undergraduate program similar to the science specialization of the USU animal science or dairy science BS degree. This background includes the following courses and their prerequisites:
- Biol 1210 and 1220 or their equivalents
- Chem 2310 and 2320 or their equivalents
- Math 1050 and Stat 1040 or their equivalents
- Applicants with deficiencies in these areas may be admitted to the graduate program subject to the completion of remedial course work specified by the department. Other preparatory courses may be specified by the student's supervisory committee.
To be considered for a departmental assistantship your pre-application must be in by the deadlines listed above. If the incoming cohort is not complete after the deadlines we will continue to review applications after this date.